Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Separation in Judgment

I am new at vlogs and have only done a few. One of them got a comment that had nothing to do with what I had been talking about. The topic was making excuses to not do what we have to do. The comment was that I must be anorexic. When I replied that I only have prominent bones and thin skin and this person should think about these things before making judgments he responded with a comment that I definately am anorexic and am in denial.

So I told him he might want to ask himself why he is so concerned with labeling me as anorexic and he might want to look at himself and see if he feels he might be obese and attempting to feel better about himself by saying I'm anorexic. He said that was a hard blow and I should get on with my life, so I created a vlog about jugment in response to how he was making judgment of me and why.

 I told a friend about it and she agreed with the person who commented on me being anorexic, and she continued to tell me how unhealthy, and gaunt I look. I might understand if I were unhealthy, but I am not unhealthy. I jog on a daily basis, I eat fresh fruits and veggies daily, nuts, legumes, proper proportions of each food group, (protien, complex carbs, healthy fat) I don't eat junk (fast food) and I am at a healthy, actually optimal body fat percentage and weight for my height and age. I used to wear makeup whenever I visited with friends and I don't always do that anymore. Sometimes I do, and when I do, I think about why, ego needs attention, or feeling low, or just because I want to play etc...

This friend is not used to seeing me without makeup, so I thought about how in our society we hold expectations on how we should look. Make-up companies and film industry pressure us to believe that we are flawed and we need make-up to fix our imperfections. I was supporting that idea by wearing make-up everytime I socialised with friends. Now that I usually do not wear make-up, even when with freinds or any public place, I am no longer supporting this fantasy world of perfection, and I am now being judged as looking sickly, when in actuality I am healthier than these people who are making the judgments and in fact healthier than most of the people in my country.

These judgments that we make of eachother are only ideas in our own heads, our own personal beliefs about others that isn't even real, yet we fool ourselves into thinking it is real. We are chosing to separate ouselves from eachother by following our judgments and we never get to really know eachother. When we dress up nicely and wear makeup to cover imperfections, and style our hair to create a perfect shape to our face, we are being deceptive. We are creating a perfect image to appear beautiful in the eyes of others, to appear unflawed, and within this deception we are feeding the need for other's to do the same. We are so used to playing the game of perfection that when we don't attempt to cover "flaws", which are not even flaws but normal humaness, we are judged as sick. We believe that something is wrong with a person when they don't 'fix' their appearance.

People have imperfections in their skin, hair, body fat, the way we dress, the way we speak, because we are all different in these ways and we all carry our own judgments of what is 'right', of what is considered 'healthy'. These are only judgments in our heads. They are not real. These judgments do nothing except create delusion and separation. How about we stop following these judgments, these self-lies, and get real. How about we actually get to know someone instead of make-believing what we want to believe about them. How about we stop decieveing ourselves with our thoughts and stop decieveing eachother with our constant attempt to cover any self created and judged 'flaws' of ourselves. How about we stop comparing ourselves to eachother and competing.

It is time we escape the mind and all the delusional beliefs that come with it creating judgment and constant separation. It is time we realise that we are all earthlings, we are all in this life together. It is time we give eachother the chance to reveal who we really are underneath the deception and unite as equals.

No comments:

Post a Comment